Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Grandpa, dressing like a hipster since 1930.

The other day was my Grandpas 81st birthday. My Mom and Brother and I all ventured over to their house to celebrate. I was happy to see my Grandpa, and then I noticed something that I found hilarious. My Grandpa, who absolutely has never tried to cater to fashion trends, was dressed the way a modern hipster would dress. He had a vintage plaid shirt tucked into his khakis while wearing a long, large buttoned cardigan and boat shoes (or sperrys). I thought it was kind of humorous and figured that hipster culture was a relevant enough topic to blog about. Its relevant to my "topic" I suppose because this culture of people is literally build out of what they wear and buy. Its actually a running joke about hipsters that "I bought this before everyone else had it".

Exactly this. 

I'm not sure where hipster culture began. It might have evolved out of grunge fans from the 90s or emo kids outgrowing their neon-pink skinny jeans and Hello Kitty t-shirts. Regardless, its a style of dress and attitude that has come to light more recently. More "hardcore" hipsters live in college towns after they graduated art school and currently struggle to earn an income selling postmodern art focusing on owls and cats. (I actually have purchased a piece of art from these poor souls.)

Art.

Hipsters do some things out of sheer irony. A notable example of this is wearing Bill Cosby sweaters because they are so ugly that they've become cool. Wearing sweaters like this is especially "hip" when they are very out of season, like in the summer. That sweaty forehead and reindeer sweater is a calling card for cool. Another notable example that I find hilarious is drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon beer simply because of how uncouth it is and its association with blue collar workers. I think it is really funny that this company has a profit margin based solely off of people drinking it to make fun of it.


I'm bad at ending things so bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment