Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Gorgeous Weather"

Are you feeling happier than usual? Does everything seem more carefree recently? You aren't alone, most people this time of year do too. Why exactly, is this happening? It just might by the weather. There are many different explanations to how weather effects our mood.
One such example is Seasonal Affective Disorder (also known as SAD). This usually relates to people who experience normal moods during the year and slip into mild bouts of depression in the winter. This disorder was first considered a myth until studies found that while 1.4% of people in the state of Florida report depression during the winter, over 9% of people in New Hampshire and other northern states report depression specifically during the winter. I know that while I don't get legitimately depressed when it's colder, it does effect my mood to some degree. When it's cold, people usually are focused on getting warm, making every other task they have to focus on very frustrating. Seasonal Affective Disorder establishes a link between weather and mood. I decided to write about this because the recent beautiful weather has really had a profound affect on me.

I googled "gorgeous weather" (I heard Joe Winters use that phrase) and this is what I got. How lame am  I?


This Sunday, when I usually dread doing the bulk of my homework, I flew through my assignments early in the  afternoon and had the rest of the day to relax, as Sunday should be. I was confused, I usually don't have that kind of motivation and have to force myself to get the work done. Then I noticed that I wasn't constantly cold. In fact, it was beautiful enough to go outside without a coat or jacket. I've always associated the spring and summer with great times, and I was starting to feel nostalgic. Weather really can affect mood.
I think when I'm older, I'll move somewhere warm so my productivity is always very high.

No comments:

Post a Comment