Sunday, September 25, 2011

"Only in America" a poem (I guess you could call it that) about the contents of my pantry.

My glamorous pantry.


Only in America will you find two three cans of the exact same chicken noodle soup, but different brands.

Only in America will you find a 64 oz soda cup from a gas station that we will absolutely never use again because the fact it is sitting in the pantry and not the cup cabinet. Only in America is that unsanitary,

Only in America will you find Pop tarts, even though nobody in my family likes Pop tarts. Seriously, does someone want these? My Dad keeps buying them because he thinks someone will eat them but nobody ever does.

Only in America will you be able to buy a 2 lb cylinder of oatmeal.

Only in America will you find 3 half eaten bags of Tostitos chips.

Only in America will you find four boxes of granola bars, when again, no one in my family eats granola bars.

Only in America will you find a box of breadcrumbs. Seriously, my family bought a box of bread crumbs. "Why?" is all I can think to say. Only in America will you find three jars of peanut butter, two jars of Prego tomato sauce, and two jars of Nutella. These jars of paste/sauces have enough calories to feed my family by themselves, but yet we have them for no other purpose.



Okay "poem" over that was really awful. But my point is that in America every family has a pantry full of food that they don't need and hardly ever eat. In my household, we probably go out to eat twice a week, which makes less use for the food in my pantry. Personally, there is nothing in there I find worthy of eating right now. Most of what I eat is microwaved and eaten out of a box or prepared for me by a restaurant. I know that this is wasteful. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who does this. America has become such a large consumer that consuming is basically all we know how to do. Since birth we have been conditioned to love material goods. When we decorate a room of our houses we consume more products like lamps and pictures and clocks and drapes simply so that the room is aesthetically pleasing. 

Only in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment