Thursday, September 15, 2011

I guess this is my first post.

I already have written a decently vague description in the ABOUT THIS BLOG section. To reiterate what I wrote there, I basically have a really strange fascination with advertising, media, and marketing.
I think the best topic for my first blog post is to explain exactly why I think thats a good topic to write about.


To start off, I dont go home and obsessively watch commercials. I dont read blogs about new products or subscribe to business magazines or even read the newspaper. The way companies market products to consumers has always been kind of fascinating. Its very easy for me to observe living in America where products and logos are all around us. I think my first memory of admiring a company's marketing strategy (although I didn't think of it in that way at the time) was how McDonalds added toys to kids meals as an incentive for buying one. I would see commericals for the cheap plastic toys that went with whatever Disney movie I was obsessed with at the time and subconciously I would crave chicken mcnuggets and (what an American would consider) a small portion of french fries. Actually, I'm really hungry now and that sounds delicious. McDonalds is so successful at what it does I can crave it from writing about early memories of its marketing strategies.


I thought my interest for products and consumers would be an appropriate topic for my blog because I thought it would be a mature enough topic that I could learn a lot about it. I realized that since I am now at the beginning of my junior year I should probably have some of an idea what I'm interested in. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of other interests! I love to sing. I've taken private voice lessons for a long time and I practice mostly classical pieces. I don't doubt my abilities, but I know there is a slim chance I would be able to support myself as an opera singer. Products and advertising and consumerism in America will always exist, and it always expanding. I figured that would be an excellent field to take an interest in and that this would be a good place to learn what I really enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment