Thursday, May 3, 2012

"How Its Made" is mind numbing but you cant stop watching it.

Earlier today, I was practicing a usual teenager's ritual of doing absolutely nothing on Sundays up until about 5 pm. Around 5, people my age realize all the homework they'd pushed back and then sit for a three our block of pure misery and procrastination. I'm come to accept the fact that this is how it always will be. Before 5pm, there is literally nothing to do. I found myself laying in my room, completely immobile for hours eyes glued to the TV. The dreary weather made my room a dull gray color, and I was almost in a trance. Then, I made the horrid mistake of turning on the Discovery channel, where the most dull show ever created was streaming. That show is How It's Made.

Every single episode is the same format. Choose any item you like, say a bicycle. You will first be greeted by a frame of a finished bicycle sitting there. And then you hear a dull description of what a bicycle is used for. At this point you are already sucked in, and don't even question the fact that you already know darn well what a bicycle is for. This is America, we all have them. Then the narrator will give some unnecessarily awful back story to the preparations of a bicycle being made. "First measurements are taken for the proper height for handlebars." At the time, this completely passive information just made me continue to be sucked in like a zombie. Now that I am free from How It's Made's trance, the fact that they stuff this incredibly dry informational show with useless information (ironic) makes me rage. I understand this show isn't targeted at my age or gender demographic at all, and that someone else probably does enjoy it. I don't think the show is flawed in what it does. All its job is to tell you how something is made. What I really find humorous now is that because the show is so dry, you can easily end up watching a few episodes without really noticing. That is exactly what happened to me. I cant recall whatsoever what I learned about watching those shows. All I know is that from 1 pm to 3 pm that show had me in a trance that I was unable to get out of.

Part of the reason why this show is so flat is because of the chosen audio. The voice over work is done by Brooks T. Moore, who's website is hilariously depressing looking. Moore seems to be only known for his work on How it's made, which he restates very often throughout the few-faceted website.


No comments:

Post a Comment