Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lizard Lick Towing is a bad reality show in the bad genre that is reality shows.

I watch a lot of TV. In fact, I watch a very wide spectrum of TV shows. Sometimes I'll be watching CNN and getting my fill of news and political commentary, and then I switch and watch Jersey Shore to laugh at the cast. Reality shows have become more and more popular these days, and on some networks (for example, A&E) the compose almost an entire days lineup. Reality TV is cheap to produce; no actors are needed to pay, no sets need to be constructed, writers don't need to be hired. Since they're so cheap to produce and generally appeal to large, less intelligent crowds because the story lines are simple to follow, many networks are jumping on the bandwagon. One of these networks is truTV. TruTV was originally CourtTV, which broadcasted famous trials like The Mendez Brothers and the O.J Simpson trial. Since its transition, truTV now features mostly semi-law related reality shows.

One of these shows is Lizard Lick Towing, which follows around the employees of the Lizard Lick Towing company as the tow and repossess cars. Its not a great idea for a TV show, so the producers thought maybe they could add a little character to the people whose cars are repossessed. What they ended up doing is scripting them into awful southern stereotypes, often with lines such as "That right there is real as beer and fried squirrel." While sometimes its amusing, the show gives away how fake it is with its obscenely dynamic episodes. I have yet to come across an episode not featuring a gun or a fistfight. It became obviously fake to me when a man having his car towed shot out a the window while it was being driven away. When the window was shot out, the camera switched from the perspective of the cameraman riding in the truck to a cameraman outside the truck who didn't happen to have a shot of the glass breaking.

This show is depressing to watch because of how bad it is.

Why.

1 comment:

  1. Lizard Lick Towing isn’t reality… its Actuality, and now you know that it just means that it’s fake as plastic dog poop. The repossession isn’t what is scripted, then entire show it a Repo man’s pipe dream of what they want people to think their work life is like. Somehow even in the deep south I can’t see a Repo company not calling the cops after a debtor shoots at them, and then doesn’t call the cops when the same person shows up with the gun and holds the at gun point until they get what they want. I’m with you I watch a lot of television, but since I work nights at DISH I end up watching most all my television on DISH online the next day, and when I get bored I will go through thee other networks to find something to watch, which is where I came across this train wreck of stupidity. They have both seasons streaming on TRU TV’s page, but I think if you actually sat and watched all 24 episodes y our IQ would drop 50 points a season you watched.

    ReplyDelete